Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Family Love

Last night, my son had his big Blue and Gold Banquet for Cub Scouts. It was nowhere near as long as last year (which is good, because last year went on forever and ever and ever and ev...), and was actually a lot of fun. My big boy got his Bear badge, and an arrow point, and was so proud to be up at the front of the fellowship hall, getting recognition from everyone for his hard work. The little lady sat there slurping spaghetti and enjoying seeing her big brother get his badges. And when it came time for the "Crossing Over" ceremony, where the 2nd year Webelos cross the bridge and officially become Boy Scouts, both of my little boys sat there, starry-eyed, watching it all with envy.

"There going to be Boy Scouts now, Mama?" asked the little one, eyes wide, wanting to make sure he understood it all.

"Just two more years, and that will be me!" said the big guy, bursting with anticipation.

I'm a proud mama. Pictures will be at flickr later today, for sure.

My family is my everything. Ask anyone who knows me and they'll tell you-- my husband and my children light up my life. Being there last night, with all the other moms and dads, sitting through lists of kids getting awards that aren't your kid, sticking around, applauding, trying not to act bored-- it all reminded me that these little things mean so much to my kids. Family Uno battles, ticklefights, playing in the back yard together, fixing pigtails gently so that hair doesn't get snagged, bringing one of the kids to work with me (Whose turn is it now, mommy?), bedtime backrubs, kissing boo-boos, and doing everything I can to help one of my little ones when they are sick or hurt-- these are the things that they will forever bring to memory when thinking of me. No parent is perfect all the time. I can only hope that the good will far outweigh the bad, and that they'll always see me as their biggest fan and their strongest defender.

No comments: