Monday, October 24, 2005

Re-Adolescence

I think I'm getting a little closer to the root of my 30-year-old funk. It's the same thing my husband went into a funk about when he turned 30, and I made fun of him relentlessly from my 27 year old perch of safety.

It goes a little like this:
Approximate age at which Jesus was crucified: 33
Age at which Thomas Jefferson penned the Declaration: 33
Age at which Napoleon crowned himself emperor: 35
Age at which Julian of Norwich received her revelations of divine love: 30
Age at which Origen took over the Christian Catechetical School at Alexandria: 17
Approximate age at which Luther posted his theses to the door: 34
Approximate age at which I realized I've done very little with my life and need to get on the ball: 30

I think I've pinpointed what it is I need to do; I also realize it will be at least 2 years before I can do it (for a variety of family reasons). But the realization is there, and that is a start to the gradual restoration of my sanity.

No comments: